Saturday, April 21, 2012

1:52 Seconds

First 200M: Where am I? What's my position? This guy is too close and I'm not afraid to jockey for place. Get ready and find someone to sit on when we break to lane one. How's the pace? Should I move up? I'm listening for a 200M split. 25,26 is okay. 10 runners in this heat. We will be separated soon.

200M-400M: Settle in. Keep contact with the leaders. Mantra, be patient you got this. Visualize. What's going to be needed to win this? A strong kick or do I front run and try to hold the lead? I know who I have to beat. Do you know that I'm the one you're going to have to beat? I hear coach, "MOVE, MOVE, YOU'RE OKAY." The pack has separated. A couple of guys have gone to soon. I'll see them in 100M. I cross the 400M mark. Coach again, "56." I'm too slow.

400M-600M: The other guys think think the race starts with 200M to go. I know the race starts now. 56, I'm slow. Time to work. The guys who went to soon are now watching the back of my jersey. Have to split 56 again to hit my mark 1:52. The pace is picking up. I know I'm stronger, this part is mental. Focus on breathing. Back straight I start to open up. I pass one or two and now I am in position to unload a fierce kick. Mantra, be patient you got this. Lactic acid is starting to build up, focus. These guys don't know what's coming.

600M-800M: Time to finish. All strategy is now out the door. Regardless of position it's time for an all out kick. Coach, "MOVE, FINISH, LET'S GO!" Teammates cheering, every spectator screaming and bringing their runner home. The only question now is, who wants it more? Surprise! I'm a converted 400M runner. More importantly I want this. I have heart. I have passion. I love the pain. I see nothing but the finish line and this is cake compared to the grueling workouts. On the turn I'm right on his shoulder. A meter before we hit the final straightaway I swing wide. With every ounce of energy left I hit the after burner and am now full throttle. I take the lead. Don't look back. Run through the finish. Another personal best. Another GSTC win. I love this race. I love this sport. I love this team.

No comments:

Post a Comment