Monday, March 12, 2012

20k, Year of Polite, and Rocky Balboa?

My intentions coming home were to do several other things than write this blog. That said, I'm sitting here and the only thing I can think about is running. Perhaps I'm slightly inspired by the blogging of my friend, teammate, and competitor Mike Anis. I'm still living off this high, this adrenaline stemming from running my first 20k this past Sunday. A race, no, a distance that once seemed impossible for me to run found me a 10th place finish out of about 800 runners. 69 minutes, 5:34 a mile coming from a sprinter. In this past year I have found myself in almost every racing distance. 100M, 200M, 400M, 800M, 1500M, 5,000M, 8,000M, and 20,000M. There is no distance that I don't feel confident with. Though the ultimate goal for this year remains to run the fastest half mile I can, I find no need to limit myself. I'm out here flying high and daring runners to cut my wings at any distance. The level of fun that I'm having right now is climbing and this roller coaster when it does start to come down will be well worth the ride. I've waited in line for a long time and this year it's my turn. If you're at the top and holding the torch, hold it steady. If I see it flicker, I'm coming for it. I want it all right now, and I'm really just having fun doing my thing. This is my breakout season. I'm just grateful to not take this ride alone. Everyday I'm refreshed at the breath of life and energy this past year of running has given me. If I come across as arrogant or cocky sometimes I apologize. I'm just confident. However, know how humble I truly am. Know my heart and what this means to me. Know me, my past, my present, and where I see myself in the future and it will all make sense. Know my journey. I'm so grateful to my good friend and coach Chuck Schneekloth for mentoring me and putting so much dedication, time, and effort into this club. The other runners who push me and lift me up with every stride, every cheer, every morale boost. My family for being so supportive. I'm thankful that I no longer limit myself....... Staying with a theme that Mike Anis started, I feel this quote and video fitting.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it isn't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you aren't where you are because of him, her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that isn't you. You're better than that!...... Until you start believing in yourself, you're not going to have a life."- Rocky Balboa

No comments:

Post a Comment